Pistol Purchase Permits and Gun Registration
- Office hours are Monday-Saturday 10am-4pm.
- Purchase permits are issued if you are not purchasing from a FFL dealer and/or you do not have a CPL License- in other words, if you are purchasing from a private seller and/or inheriting a weapon after a death. Background checks are performed for purchase permits.
- A $5.00 notary fee applies
- You must return the permit within 10 days of the date of transaction.
- FFL dealers will provide you with a Pistol Sales Record upon purchase of a pistol. Please return the MSP copy to your local police department within 10 days of the transaction.
- The Records Bureau provides Pistol Sales Records for individuals purchasing with a valid CPL license. The Sales Record must be completed and signed by both the seller and the purchaser. Please return the MSP copy to your local police department within 10 days of the transaction.
Purchase Permits and Pistol Sales Records are mailed to the Michigan State Police weekly.
If there is an issue with either, you will be contacted.
"If you are interested in applying for a CPL, you may pick up the information packet and application at the Records Bureau."