Section G of Proposal 3
makes changes to the absent voter (AV) balloting process. Voters no longer need to give a reason to vote an AV ballot! This means any registered voter may request an AV ballot simply by submitting a signed request (application
or note) to their local clerk.
Time frames for issuing ballots were also changed by Proposal 3 and subsequent legislation. Key times to note:
- Last Day to Issue an AV by Mail –The deadline for voters to request an absent voter ballot by First Class mail has changed to the Friday prior to the election at 5 p.m. Clerks must honor requests received by that time and mail ballots to voters. If the clerk does not maintain regular office hours, arrangements must be made to check incoming mail and email to ensure requests are honored.
- AV Emergency Time Frame – The time frame in which voters may request emergency AV ballots now runs from 5 p.m. on the Friday prior to the election through 4 p.m. on Election Day.
- Weekend Hours – Section G also requires the local clerk’s office to be open at least 8 hours on the weekend prior to an election. The City of Allen Park Clerk's office will be open on Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and on Sunday from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Election Day – a clerk or deputized staff must be available from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. in the Clerk’s office to register voters and issue absentee ballots.
- Ballots issued on Election Day must be delivered to the Precinct or AVCB for processing as soon as possible after the polls close.
Notice Of Absent Voter Applications And Ballots
Applications for Absentee Voter Ballots for Elections will be available through the Michigan Secretary of State Vote
web page, www.michigan.gov/vote
or through the City Clerks Office. You may either come in to the Office from 8:30 and 4:30 pm, Monday through Thursday or call 313-928-1144 to receive an Absentee Voter Application by mail.
You may register to vote or change your address in the following manner:
Visit the Michigan Secretary of State web site.
- At the City Clerk’s Office, 15915 Southfield Road, Allen Park or at the Office of the County Clerk during normal business hours. City of Allen Park Business hours are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
- At any Secretary of State Branch offices located throughout the state during normal business hours.
- At specified agency for clients receiving services through the Family Independence Agency, the Department of Community Health, Michigan Jobs Commission and some recruitment offices for persons enlisting in the Armed Forces.
By obtaining and completing a Mail Voter Registration Application and forwarding it to the election official as directed on the application by the close of registration deadline.
A person who registers to vote by mail is required to vote in person unless they have previously voted in person in the State of Michigan, are at least 60 years of age or are handicapped.
Notice To Voters: New Voter Identification Requirements In Effect
Every Michigan voter who offers to vote in the polls must comply with the requirement by showing picture identification or signing an affidavit attesting that he or she is not in possession of picture identification. (See MCL 168.523 for voter identification requirement)